Saturday, February 28, 2009

Poor Sheba/Bye to the Coop





Poor Sheba had her dental on Thursday. That calls for a total knockout with anathesia. When the Doctor had her under she also operated on her eyelid. This is a result of when Scarlett bit her last summer. She had a flap of skin that needed to be removed.
Greyhounds are known for having horrible teeth due to all the crap they feed them at the track, usually they need thier teeth clean every 6 months. My hero Sheba has such great teeth, in part because I brush them 2x daily. Teeth problems can really lead to other organic and medical problems to all you dog lovers out there so make sure thier teeth are in good shape. Anyhow, this is the FIRST time I have had her teeth cleaned in the 4 years I have had ber, so I guess the brushing pays off. Since it costs 300.00 for a dental I am glad I am not having to do it every 6 months!!!!
They gave her a shot of morphine and rimadyl when she was knocked out. In the recovery room she started gettting very anxious for her Mom to pick her up....she wanted to go home, so they gave her a tranq...When I got there at 5:30 she walked to the car and then her feet and body went slack. SHe could not get in or out of the car...I needed to get a neighbor to carry her in on a blanket.
Cooper went over to greet her immediately in normal fashion, falling and sitting on her....
Anyway, she became 1/2 normal about 11pm and came upstairs to sleep on her bed next to me about 3am..
I called the vet yesterday to find out why she was so HIGH and that's when they told me about the tranq....they neglected to tell me that on Thursday. I was worried about her.
On a brighter note, Cooper was adopted this morning. He went to his first home visit and they wanted him, so now it is back to just my girl and I. I am glad as Coop was a handful. Too much puppy in him and he was always pushing Sheba around, which she tolerated by did not enjoy.
Here are a few pictures of Thursday night when she got home from the Doctor.
Notice the green vet wrap matches her snooze on the collar of her coat and the fact she had to lean her head against the wall to keep it up.....

1 comment:

Rachel Nykerk said...

So glad Sheba is back to normal, and nice that Cooper found a home.
I must say I am not that good about brushing bandits teeth, its a knock down drag out fight every time to try.